where to put this information

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 20:13:18 UTC 2007

> I recently looked at a bug where somebody wanted to know how to
> make lpr printers show up in the print dialogs, since in his
> environment, lpr is used (bug 232009, if you are interested).
> Our default printing configuration uses cups and we don't want to show
> two printing systems in the print dialog by default, since that would
> be confusing. It is however pretty easy to configure GTK+ to show
> lpr instead of cups (or both, if you want) - if you know how to.
>
> I wonder if we have a good place to put this kind of non-default
> configuration information, maybe a howto section in the wiki, or
> something like that ?
>
> And what (if any) are the steps I should take to make sure that
> useful information like this finds its way there ?

A couple ideas:

1.  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Printing - seems self-explanatory, but
on the other hand I can't tell whether it was intended to hold user help
content.  That's what I'd search for if I were a new user.

2.  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ - catchall for some common
problems, but again, this may be too "weedy" for that page.

3.  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/FC6Common - in the area called
"Less Common Issues," possibly?  There is also a "F7Common" page for the
upcoming release.

Does a knowledge base system get easier to implement with Plone as the
engine for our web site?  I'm pretty sure it does, which would make
one-off issues much easier for users to enter and docs people to edit
into publication shape in small, bite-sized chunks that could entice new
Docs contributors to help out.