Default Home Page Links

Jonathan Roberts jonathan.roberts.uk at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 18 18:49:23 UTC 2007

On 18/04/07, Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 09:01 -0700, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
> > This is already a feature of the F7 release.  Refer to this URL:
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/7/Bookmarks
> >
> > Great idea no matter how many times it comes up!  Thanks to the way this
> > package works, midstream updates should be possible if a site pops up
> > that takes the community by storm.
>
> I'm not sure if I get your read on Jonathan's idea.  Are you saying, as
> I think Rahul did in a separate list, that this is already covered in
> the default bookmarks?

Lol yes, my idea was for an actual presence on the homepage...

> If that is what you mean, the reason I asked Jonathan to bring it up
> here is:
>
> * We could really give attention to some sites we want to give a
> marketing boost to

...and that will provide an improved end-user experience of Fedora and
encourage people to discover more about Free Culture (as I like to
call it) in general - at least is my take.

> * We can remove them later, just draw attention to them for launch and a
> while afterward
>
> On the other side of the argument ...
>
> * Do we want the homepage to become an advertising medium?  This seems a
> step in that direction.  Maybe that is OK, maybe not ...

I wouldn't think pointing to one or two sites which are arguably
related to the goals of the fedora project would equal advertising -
at least not in traditional sense which would lead to your next
conclusion.

> I think I like the idea, but I'm a bit concerned about people losing
> faith in the homepage because it seems advertising v. informative.

Jon