Self Introduction: Frank

Francis Earl lunitik at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 11:48:08 UTC 2007

> Access is just one issue. Distribution is another. When it comes to
> distribution there might be multiple patent holders involved. See
> http://news.com.com/Microsoft+hit+with+1.5+billion+patent+verdict/2100-1030_3-6161480.html.
> That's just FYI.

Wow, I always assumed such companies had legal access to MP3, and I was
under the impression that it was really an enforced patent anyway.
Definitely makes you think!

> Wording is important. Anything that suggests users to encourage
> proprietary solutions even if they are legal is tricky since it does not
> help our goals with Fedora. Usually these software don't support all the
> architectures that we support. So there are practical issues too.

How would you go about it? I'd probably bring up Theora tools, and
explain that those are recommended, perhaps even pointing to ways they
can transfer their current audio and video to Theora formats.

Then explaining that there are legal ways to access support for such
codecs if they absolutely require it, maybe providing them with
comparisons that show OGG is actually just as good, if not better.

Saying "this is illegal, so we don't do it" is not good enough in my
opinion. Ill informed users will never make good choices.