Using Gmail

Dan Smith draciron at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 06:51:23 UTC 2007

Hey Paul

On 8/15/07, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Aye but Gmail and most web base email is HTML email period.
>
> This is incorrect, at least for Gmail.  Above the editing box, choose
> "<< Plain text," and the formatting bar magically disappears and your
> message is sent in ASCII as $DEITY intended.  (The prompt changes to
> "Rich formatting" so you can switch back and forth as desired.)  Trust
> Google to play nice with FOSS, they love us.

LOL @ $DEITY :)

Giving it a try, I was under the impression that it only changed
recieved email to plain text.

Aye I've been mostly impressed with Google's support of FOSS.  Except
for Google Earth a  couple other minor annoyances such as no Google
talk client, though I have it set up in Pidgin so it;s only a slight
as I'd use Pidgin anyway but having a Linux client would mean somebody
was paid to do Linux development and would help windoze users see
Linux support out there and improve their view of Linux.

> > With Gmail I can use pop3 but that means changing my password,
> > actually it means unsubscribing since I use this email for important
> > and work related\tasks and pop3 sends the password in the clear. So I
> > have to unsubscribe with this email addy, resubscribe with a new gmail
> > since it's the only free email that I know of which has pop3 access.
> > Then I can send in plain text.  I can view in plain text all day long
> > LOL.
>
> Also incorrect.  I use Evolution with Gmail securely, by turning on the
> option to use SSL encryption and password authentication.  The password
> travels over the SSL encrypted session once it is established, QED.

Gah, I hate Evolution. I'll have too look and see if Kmail or
Thunderbird has SSL support. Was unaware Google was offering SSL
support for Pop3. Evolution is a resource hog. I have to manually kill
all the evil proccesses is spawns. Heard there's a kill script out
there or will get unlazy and write one myself but I tend to leave
email up 24/7 for months at a time if it doesn't eat all my mem like
Evolution does. Not real fond of the Outlook like interface either.
Cut my teeth on BBS email and Eudora. Never could stand using Outlook.
At least Evolution allows you to customize the look and feel.

Thanks on the tips.
Drac