DUG

Marc Wiriadisastra marc at mwiriadi.id.au
Sat Dec 8 05:34:28 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 21:20 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 14:09 +1300, Vladimir Kosovac wrote:
> >
> > Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:

> > > Yum and user administration I would think?
> > >
> > > Since there is/was system-config-users which is the gui side but it's
> > > possibly an admin tool.
> >
> > I don't think this stuff is out-of-place in a DUG. To teach people new
> > to Fedora how to use PC effectively, basic system administration should
> > be included. Probably just a matter of figuring the right amount of
> > information.
>
> John posted earlier with reasons why these subjects all belong in the
> Administration Guide, not the DUG.  If someone needs to "administer"
> their system to make basic use of it, that's a *bug*.  Whether a tool is
> GUI or not has no bearing on it being included in one guide or another;
> in fact, a good case could be made that almost *nothing* non-GUI should
> be in the Desktop User Guide.
>
> The AG should, in fact, prefer GUI tools to hand-editing configuration
> files whenever possible.  This is part of the "best practices" for which
> we should shoot.  Where the GUI tools are deficient, the basic use cases
> should be the first covered, using the GUI tools, and the more advanced
> or infrequent use cases requiring other admin interactions should
> follow.

The question then is why yum should not be covered in the DUG.  An
example use case: You have yum-updatesd and to update you need to
disable the cdrom update since it won't find it.  Those are all gui
tools and are part of yum.

You need to set up file-sharing which I would call desktop capability a
server set up would be an administration part.  I'm not trying to be
pedantic but maybe my definition of desktop to administrator is
different.

Desktop is everything a desktop user would require including samba, yum,
desktop sharing etc.

Administration network login, advanced samba, advanced yum such as
setting up local repo's etc.  The advanced stuff.

Am I off on my own?  If so can I have some guidance so I don't add stuff
that is technically not considered appropriate for a desktop user?

Cheers,

Marc