Request to withdraw outdated tqsg translated version

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 03:55:50 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 10:52 +1000, Noriko Mizumoto wrote:
> Karsten Wade wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 07:54 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> >
> >> I wonder if it might make sense to have some sort of notice on the index
> >> page stating what the current released version is, to avoid confusion.
> >> However, that wouldn't be as much help if someone links directly to a
> >> locale-specific document.  In other words, we could put a notice here:
> >>
> >> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/translation-quick-start-guide/index.html
> >>
> >> But if someone linked to:
> >>
> >> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/translation-quick-start-guide/ja/index.html
> >>
> >> ...they'd never see the notice.  Probably still worthwhile, I would
> >> think.
> >>
> >> I'm not too keen on constantly removing and adding documents from CVS,
> >> which could end up being a maintenance nightmare, not to mention a major
> >> abuse of SCM functionality.  Does anyone have some better ideas for
> >> marking these documents to make sure that readers know they're looking
> >> at something out of date?
> >
> > Two thoughts:
> >
> > 1. Put a notice onthe t-q-s-g/index.html that says what is updated and
> > what is not;
> > 1.1 Put a similar notice on the top of all translated guides that refers
> > to the canonical index.html as a reference to see what is up-to-date of
> > translations
> > 1.2 This is a manual process, so sucks for that.
> > 1.3 This could be applied to other translated documents.

I was thinking about this a little bit, and this process might be
achievable using XSLT.  I'm not sure exactly how to implement it, but
there may be a way to do a conditional during the make(1) procedure for
the "fdp-info-${LANG}" step that injects some specific XML with this
information.  Might be more work than it's worth, or it might be a lot
of fun to figure out; or it might be more time than I've got.  I will
see if I get some time to play with this soon-ish.

> > 2. Another manual process would be to populate all out-of-date
> > translations with a watermark image "Translation Out of Date"
> > 2.1 This could be made automagic, that is, when the POT file in CVS is
> > changed for a guide, all translated guides get the watermark until the
> > corresponding PO file is updated.
> This would be eye catching, also 'automagic' sounds charming :)
> So that the idea#1's notice can be simple and static?!

It seems to me that the logic behind doing this would be extremely
hacky.  I think trying to solve the problem with a pure XML solution may
be the right way to go.

           Fedora Project: http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/