Users and Groups

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Dec 9 13:06:10 UTC 2007

Vladimir Kosovac wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:

>>> I think that goes in the admin guide but I'm not to sure. I'm sorta
>>> confusing the issue in myself of whats desktop use and whats admin use.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Marc
>>>

>>    Hi Marc, if I have a choice I think this should be part of Desktop. I
>> have been looking at the various Help tools and dislike those that go to
>> a web page. I like the way Gedit calls it's help from Desktop and would
>> like to see Users and Groups called the same way.
>>

> Karl, I'm afraid this would not be possible. This is a separate
> application [`system-config-users`].
>
> ''Users and Groups'' is a GUI wrapper for the `system-config-users` and
> is placed in the System-->Administration menu for a reason - it handles
> "system administration" type task and requires root privileges.
>
> It is covered here:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/AdministrationGuide/UserAccounts
>
> DUG guidelines have been posted to the list not so long ago by John
> Babich, DUG Lead Writer. Here is the relevant excerpt:

    I can't seem to unpack what DUG means.

> As far as the boundary between the DUG and the Administration Guide
> (AG), I agree with Paul that the GUI/non-GUI distinction has very
> little relevance. We should always point to the GUI apps first, except
> in those rare cases where GUI apps don't exist or don't provide the
> required functionality.

    In the case of making Users with Groups the current writing on the
web is fine but the GUI part is shown late in the writing.  This is not
a problem if,  when a user clicks Help it brings up just the part
dealing with the GUI system.

     And, my desire is to put the best possible Help up for a user that
finds Users and Groups on their computer.

    Last week I needed to make my login include the uucp Group so I can
use the Serial Port Com1. I went to the GUI and could not do it. I had
to use #usermod karl -a -G uucp
which worked fine but took 3 hours to find :-)

    Later I stumbled onto Edit and found how to show all the users. This
is what I needed.

Karl