Users and Groups

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Dec 9 16:38:46 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:
> [...]
>>>>

>>>    Hi Marc, if I have a choice I think this should be part of
>>> Desktop. I
>>> have been looking at the various Help tools and dislike those that
>>> go to
>>> a web page. I like the way Gedit calls it's help from Desktop and would
>>> like to see Users and Groups called the same way.
>>>

>> Karl, I'm afraid this would not be possible. This is a separate
>> application [`system-config-users`].
>>
>> ''Users and Groups'' is a GUI wrapper for the `system-config-users` and
>> is placed in the System-->Administration menu for a reason - it handles
>> "system administration" type task and requires root privileges.
>>
>> It is covered here:
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/AdministrationGuide/UserAccounts
>>

>> DUG guidelines have been posted to the list not so long ago by John
>> Babich, DUG Lead Writer. Here is the relevant excerpt:
>>
>    I can't seem to unpack what DUG means.
>

>> ########################################################################
>> As far as the boundary between the DUG and the Administration Guide
>> (AG), I agree with Paul that the GUI/non-GUI distinction has very
>> little relevance. We should always point to the GUI apps first, except
>> in those rare cases where GUI apps don't exist or don't provide the
>> required functionality.
>>
>    In the case of making Users with Groups the current writing on the
> web is fine but the GUI part is shown late in the writing.  This is
> not a problem if,  when a user clicks Help it brings up just the part
> dealing with the GUI system.
>

>     And, my desire is to put the best possible Help up for a user that
> finds Users and Groups on their computer.
>
>    Last week I needed to make my login include the uucp Group so I can
> use the Serial Port Com1. I went to the GUI and could not do it. I had
> to use #usermod karl -a -G uucp
> which worked fine but took 3 hours to find :-)
>
>    Later I stumbled onto Edit and found how to show all the users.
> This is what I needed.
>
> Karl
>

>> I think the main distinction is the target audience. The DUG's
>> audience is the first-time or less-experienced user who wants to
>> perform common tasks like web-browsing, creating simple spreadsheets
>> and text documents. The AG's audience is the more-experienced person
>> who wants to manage a group of users with various access levels, or
>> set up and administer servers such as HTTP/FTP, IMAP/POP3,
>> authentication, proxy, DHCP, etc.
>> ########################################################################
>>
>> John, Paul, Karsten and the rest of doc writers,
>>
>> I still maintain that the basic parts of a User Manager (Creating users
>> and groups) have their place in a DUG, though. Users new to Fedora may
>> also have a need to quickly create multiple accounts on the machine
>> without having to read the administration guide. Is this still for
>> discussion or the whole thing will be handled by the admin guide alone?

    Here is a little writing to start a caution.

    Recall that you just provided the Root password to get Users and
Groups to come up. Now YOU are Root. A word of Caution. A simple error
can ruin your computer! If you feel unsure of what your doing,read this
Help and if your still not sure turn off Users and Groups.

Karl