Voting System Conflicts

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Dec 12 20:03:48 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 12:14 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:

>     I agree that voting is not required IF the rules accept the current
> situation of no contested seat. But voting might be useful if a voter
> can choose to vote for another person, or vote against the person running.

I should have been clearer about the voting system.  The application
uses 'approval voting'[1].  So, there is a little value in voting even
when there are the same number of candidates as seats.  For example,
someone could get zero votes and not earn a seat.  It would also rank
the candidates by approval, although that doesn't matter here since
ranking has no other effect.  Last election it did, since the three
lowest ranked seats are the ones up for election currently.

- Karsten

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Approval_voting
--
Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.