console.perms

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri Dec 14 21:58:47 UTC 2007

    I used the info in info console.perms and from several other sources
to teach me how to write a file that changes /dev/ttyS0 ownership from
root to me when I am on the console. As it happens this is the devise in
Fedora that lets you use a serial port which in windows talk is Com1.

    The info console.perms is written by Michael K. Johnson
<johnsonm at redhat.com> and I suspect he wrote the software. Alas what he
wrote is real bad. It tells him what it does but it was way over my
head. After reading a lot of other things I figured out how to use this
software and it did work. But it took a whole day.

    I would like to re-write this console-perm man page from the pov of
a user rather than the writer of the code. This I can do from what I did
to make the serial port work.

    Is this something we do?

Karl

--