Self-Introduction: Timothy Murphy

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Dec 20 02:41:40 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> On Thursday 20 December 2007 01:42:51 am Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>> Welcome to the Fedora Documentation Project
>>
>> Note that Linux Home Server Howto is under a different license than OPL
>> without options which is what the documentation project uses. If you are
>> planning to copy paste content from the HowTo, you would need explicit
>> permission to relicense.
>
> Well, I haven't sold my soul to the Fedora Documentation Project.

I have no idea what this means and it's relevance to what I said. Maybe
you have a misunderstanding. I am merely pointing out a licensing
requirement. If you are deriving your work from existing content, you
need a explicit permission from the original authors to relicense it.
This is true regardless of whether you work with the Fedora
Documentation Project or not. The author has previously confirmed that
he would be ok with others basing their work on his but it would
courteous to reconfirm at this point.

> If the HOWTO doesn't suit the project I'll probably update it anyway,
> and leave it outside.

The content itself is very well suitable however the license is not.
The non-commercial restriction the document currently has is not
acceptable.  Refer

http://www.brennan.id.au/01-Introduction.html#copyright

Fedora Documentation Project as with Fedora itself requires content to
be under a free and open license and it has selected OPL with no options
to meet this requirement. If the authors are willing to relicense
content, you can copy paste directly. Otherwise you can just use the
factual information and will have to write a new document based on those
factual information.

Rahul