fixing what we can

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 18:56:01 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-22 at 11:29 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Jared Smith wrote:
> > So in the interests of making this process easier for new contributors,
> > I cornered Paul at our local LUG meeting this morning and we looked at
> > the GPG key instructions with fresh eyes.  We've gone through the
> > instructions at
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/UsingGpg/CreatingKeys and
> > organized it, cleaned it up, and added a bunch of additional
> > documentation in places where it was sorely lacking.
> >
> > If there are people out there that are struggling with the process of
> > setting up their GPG key pair, I'd encourage them to take a look at the
> > shiny new changes.
> >
> > -Jared
> >

>     I looked and it is the same stuff but much better organization. I
> have been reading Help Seahorse and they talk about sub-keys as being
> the way to do things. But the help is not real clear there.

We are still working on it; please be patient, and remember that we are
all volunteers doing this in our spare time. :-)  Jared and I are
testing this as we go to make sure the instructions get as clear as
possible.

I noticed a lot of the material and organization has "drifted" since I
first wrote this page, making the steps very cluttered.  Jared and I are
making a concerted effort to make the workflow clickable using anchors
and clear procedural links.  Once we're finished, I think this would be
worthwhile for us to consider when revising other procedural guides.  We
are organizing this in much the way John Babich and others are talking
about organizing the DUG, where each section branches for GNOME, KDE,
and CLI.  A link at the bottom of each section directs the user within
the same branch, or for single-branch sections, includes a link for each
following branch, like this:

(This is ASCII art, so you will need to be using a fixed-width font to
view it correctly.

         -- GNOME Step 1 --                      -- GNOME Step 3
Intro --+-- KDE Step 1   --+-- Unified Step 2 --+-- KDE Step 3    ...
         -- CLI Step 1   --                      -- CLI Step 3

There should be at the end of Intro links to all three Step 1 branches.
Each Step 1 branch has a link to Step 2.  Step 2 has links to all Step 3
branches, and so forth.

           Fedora Project: http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/