more observations on fedora release notes

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 17:31:27 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 12:03 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 17:17 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > > http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f8/en_US/sn-Multimedia.html
> > >
> > > "GNOME users can burn directly from the Nautilus file manager, choose
> > > the gnomebaker or graveman packages ..."
> > >
> > > - graveman?  yum doesn't know anything about graveman in the standard
> > > repos.
> > >
> > > "KDE users can use the robust k3b  package for these tasks ..."
> > >
> > > - you don't need to be running KDE to use k3b.  but you knew that.
> >
> > The release notes source material is on the Fedora wiki, and you're
> > invited to fix problems directly in the appropriate "beat" page for that
> > content:
> >   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/Multimedia
>
> the problem is that i don't know *how* i would fix that content in
> terms of rewording.  in most cases, i can only point out what appear
> to be inaccuracies -- i don't quite have the background to know what
> it *should* say.

None of us have degrees in technical documentation. :-)  There are
probably many different ways you could fix the notes, such as:

"Fedora offers a number of other disc-burning applications, such as
GnomeBaker and k3b."

"Users who want more disc-burning options can install programs such as
k3b and GnomeBaker."

"The Fedora software repositories contain many other applications for
burning CDs and DVDs."

The possibilities are endless!  You don't even have to get it right on
the first try; that's why many people have watches on the release notes
beats.  If something comes out written oddly, we just fix it to
something that we think works better with the Fedora Style Guide.
Please feel free to try your hand in the future, your contributions are
welcome.

           Fedora Project: http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/