Seeking clarification on the FDSCo Elections
jmbabich at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 06:45:08 UTC 2007
FDP Team Members:
I appreciate that FUDCon 2007 is starting in Boston today. I wish I could
be there, but I still plan to attend via IRC and any blogging being done. It
should be a great time for all.
Although this is a very busy time, we need to clear up a few confusing issues
regarding the FDSCo elections.
I am referring to three documents:
1. "Nominations now open, Elections for FDSCo 2-Feb to 12-Feb",
First of all, full disclosure: I am a candidate for this election. :-)
This is how I understand the election based on these documents:
1. All 7 seats on the FDSCo are open for re-election (as stated in doc #1).
2. Therefore, each qualified voter gets up to 7 votes, 0-7 of which are
cast for each candidate. For example, I can cast all 7 votes for one
candidate, or distribute them how I please among all the candidates,
as long as I do not exceed 7 votes cast (stated in doc #2).
Implicit in this
is that a candidate can vote for one's self.
3. I cannot vote for someone who has not self-nominated on the Nominations
page (doc #2).
4. If 7 seats are open, 9 candidates must self-nominate (doc #2).
5. According to doc #2, the deadline for self-nomination is passed (3 days
before 2 Feb is 30 January).
6. Consequently, there are now only 4 candidates, including myself, as of
the time of this writing (doc #3).
7. According to doc #2, the voting is therefore automatically postponed one
week from 2 February, making the new date 9 February for the election.
8. This is in the hope that 5 more candidates will self-nominate by by placing
their own names on doc #3.
9. If there are still less than 7 candidates, then voting will take
place with the
number of candidates posted (doc #2).
Now, please clarify the following points:
1. Since we are a global community, are we referring to these dates as
beginning on 12:01 AM (0001 hours) UTC (also known as GMT) or by
another standard? In other words, will voting now take place on 9 Feb
at 12:01 (0001 hours) UTC?
2. WIll the next wave of self-nominations close on 6 February or 9 February?
It may be fortunate that the voting period was extended automatically, so that
we have the opportunity to clarify these points. I'm sorry that I
didn't grasp the
situation right away as I am very busy at work at the moment.
Once these decisions are taken regarding this election, I further suggest that
we post them prominently on the nominations page, along the lines of:
1. You have seven (7) votes.
2. You may cast anywhere from 0 to 7 votes in total.
3. Cast 0-7 votes for each candidate up to 7 votes.
Best Regards and Enjoy FUDCon,
Volunteer, Fedora Docs Project
More information about the fedora-docs-list