Seeking clarification on the FDSCo Elections

John Babich jmbabich at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 06:45:08 UTC 2007

FDP Team Members:

I appreciate that FUDCon 2007 is starting in Boston today. I wish I could
be there, but I still plan to attend via IRC and any blogging being done. It
should be a great time for all.

Although this is a very busy time, we need to clear up a few confusing issues
regarding the FDSCo elections.

I am referring to three documents:

1. "Nominations now open, Elections for FDSCo 2-Feb to 12-Feb",
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-docs-list/2007-January/msg00045.html

2. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Policy/FDSCoElections

3. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/SteeringCommittee/Nominations

First of all, full disclosure: I am a candidate for this election. :-)

This is how I understand the election based on these documents:

1. All 7 seats on the FDSCo are open for re-election (as stated in doc #1).

2. Therefore, each qualified voter gets up to 7 votes, 0-7 of which are
    cast for each candidate.  For example, I can cast all 7 votes for one
    candidate, or distribute them how I please among all the candidates,
    as long as I do not exceed 7 votes cast (stated in doc #2).
Implicit in this
    is that a candidate can vote for one's self.

3. I cannot vote for someone who has not self-nominated on the Nominations
   page (doc #2).

4. If 7 seats are open, 9 candidates must self-nominate (doc #2).

5. According to doc #2, the deadline for self-nomination is passed (3 days
   before 2 Feb is 30 January).

6. Consequently, there are now only 4 candidates, including myself, as of
    the time of this writing (doc #3).

7. According to doc #2, the voting is therefore automatically postponed one
    week from 2 February, making the new date 9 February for the election.

8. This is in the hope that 5 more candidates will self-nominate by by placing
    their own names on doc #3.

9. If there are still less than 7 candidates, then voting will take
place with the
    number of candidates posted (doc #2).

Now, please clarify the following points:

1. Since we are a global community, are we referring to these dates as
    beginning on 12:01 AM (0001 hours) UTC (also known as GMT) or by
    another standard? In other words, will voting now take place on 9 Feb
    at 12:01 (0001 hours) UTC?

2. WIll the next wave of self-nominations close on 6 February or 9 February?

It may be fortunate that the voting period was extended automatically, so that
we have the opportunity to clarify these points. I'm sorry that I
didn't grasp the
situation right away as I am very busy at work at the moment.

Once these decisions are taken regarding this election, I further suggest that
we post them prominently on the nominations page, along the lines of:

1. You have seven (7) votes.
2. You may cast anywhere from 0 to 7 votes in total.
3. Cast 0-7 votes for each candidate up to 7 votes.

etc.

Best Regards and Enjoy FUDCon,

John Babich
Volunteer, Fedora Docs Project