Fedora 7 Test 1 and release notes

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 17:38:38 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 08:05 -0800, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 10:07 +0300, John Babich wrote:
> > http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/7/Test1TreeTesting
>
> Looks good, let it roll.
>
> > 1. Agree that this is ready for publishing on the wiki.
>
> In a new namespace?  wiki/Docs/ReleaseNotes/F7/test1/?
>
> Maybe a simply reusable space ...
>
> Docs/ReleaseNotes has links to old release notes and either i) the
> current notes or ii) the current test splash?
>
> > 2. Move it to its final location on the wiki.
> >
> > 3. Advertise that these are the release notes for Fedora 7 Test 1.
>
> Sure, an announcement to fedora-announce would probably do at this
> point, make the effort worth it.
>
> > Think of this as an experiment on how to provide *test* release notes.
>
> The idea being, for test1 and test2, we do *not* include a Wiki -> XML
> -> HTML push for the first two tests?
>
> It would be good if we had something to include.  Maybe an admonition or
> link from the splash/index.html?  Not sure if that or a symlink violates
> Paul's "one less tweak to worry about for final spin."

Putting a "placeholder" in the release-notes module is the right way to
go.  The link already exists in the splash page; no need to change it.
The web site could be updated as needed, since we would obviously be
revisiting it anyway to post the test3/final versions.  I just don't
want to change the splash page, or other READMEs that we wouldn't
otherwise be touching, since every time we add more indirect update
points, it's yet another thing that can be wrong at release time.  We
basically have three points for Release Notes ingress:

1. /usr/share/doc/HTML/RELEASE-NOTES-*.html  (provided by release-notes/
in CVS)
2. http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/  (indirectly provided by
same)
3. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/ReleaseNotes/  (canonical)

So we're looking at putting in filler in CVS that takes care of (1) and
(2), and a quick note on (3) which is easy to remove for a "real"
publication push.  Did I miss something?  Do we know all the entry
points people currently have for Release Notes?  If not, should we?