Possible Solution to DUG Update Dilemma

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Feb 19 16:42:41 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 10:14 +0300, John Babich wrote:
> FDP Team:
>
> As we discussed in the IRC channel yesterday, we finalized the
> Fedora Core 6 version of the DUG and want to begin the Fedora
> 7 DUG editing process on the wiki.
>
> The dilemma seems to be how to preserve the FC6 DUG while
> beginning the draft version edits for Fedora Linux 7.
>
> I propose the following solution:
>
> At the Docs/Drafts/DesktopUserGuide link (the one referenced by the
> default home page in FC6), we put a notice prominently at the top of
> the page like this:
>
> "For the Fedora Core 6 Desktop User Guide, please go to this link",
> which points to Docs/DesktopUserGuide.
>
> The *draft* Fedora 7 Desktop User Guide can remain at the current
> Docs/Drafts location, clearly labeled as the draft version for Fedora 7.
>
> People who are interested in the FC6 DUG can click through to the
> *published* version. Anyone interested in Fedora Linux 7 can follow
> the *draft* version, which will be clearly advertised as such.
>
> Does this solve the dilemma?

+1

What happened was this: we used the Docs/Drafts/ link in
the /usr/share/HTML/index.html (homepage).  If we had thought it through
better, we would have linked directly to Docs/DesktopUserGuide, then
have set up a #REDIRECT from that page to the Docs/Drafts.  Oh, well.
20/20 hindsight.

We can actually update the link in the homepage, and push out a new
package.  But that doesn't get all the people who install from the
original spin ISO.

Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project