another self-introduction

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 23:54:20 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 16:57 -0500, Andy Grimm wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-02-18 at 10:41 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> >
> > I'm betting that you have some CVS experience (but if not, you don't
> > need to know much to help here).  We really need some fresh eyes on
> > the
> > Documentation Guide, if for no other purpose than to show us where
> > we're
> > missing chunks both big and small.
> >
> > Are you interested in helping in this way?
>

> Sure, that sounds like it could be interesting.  I don't have a *lot* of
> CVS experience in particular; my previous company used SCCS - ugh! - and
> my current company uses perforce, to which I am still not accustomed.  I
> understand the concepts, though.
>
> So, should I check out a version of this doc CVS to start looking over
> it?

Yes.  You can find out *how* to do the CVS part (checkout) in the
published version of the guide at:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CvsUsage

The first couple sections are all you need to read to pull the docs.
I'd recommend doing the following:

(pull document from CVS)
cd whatever_path/documentation-guide/
make validate-xml-en_US
yelp en_US/documentation-guide.xml

That assumes you have the "yelp" package installed; most Fedora systems
do.  If not, you could try loading this in some other XML reader.  The
yelp reader will show you a readable version, not the XML code itself,
which makes it easier for you to pick out things that aren't helpful.

Try the steps; tell us what you think is missing.  We want this guide to
reflect just the things that are Fedora Docs-specific, if possible.
There is necessarily a little bit about DocBook and some other subjects,
but we don't want to repeat that which exists elsewhere and that we can
point to.  Everything's up for your comment -- flow, organization,
whatever.  If someone disagrees, we'll let you know.  Don't feel you
can't argue the point if it's worth arguing.  Be bold but rational.

Most of all, file bugs in Bugzilla.  That will make it easier for us to
track the work.  If you have any specific questions, just shoot an email
to the list.  Thanks for your time and effort!