Style, and how to use it

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 19:57:18 UTC 2007

For those folks writing on the wiki, please be sure and check out the
draft Style guide, which was mostly written by the illustrious Patrick
Barnes and nitpicked a little by me and a few other folks:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/StyleGuide

English is a useful, but sometimes arcane and difficult, lingua franca
used throughout Fedora.  Fortunately enough people know it that we can
communicate fairly well with each other, hopefully with a minimum of
misunderstandings.

But because Fedora aims to reach a global community, it is also
important we maintain our documents in a translatable fashion.  English
unfortunately lends itself to many constructs which are very awkward for
translators.  By using a consistent, clear, and simple writing style,
you the writer can ensure translators, who are also usually volunteers,
find your document easy to localize to their native language.

As you write, please keep the style guidelines in mind.  If you have
questions, always feel free to raise them on the list.  If you find an
issue not answered in the Style Guide, you also have an opportunity to
improve it.  Once we agree on an answer here, we can update the wiki
page so everyone benefits.

Thanks again and good luck with your drafting!