Use of asterisk "*" in distro name

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 13:45:49 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-25 at 21:39 -0800, MJang wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 08:30 +0300, John Babich wrote:
> > On 2/26/07, Dimitris Glezos <dimitris at glezos.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >  From what I've heard at FOSDEM, 'Fedora 7' was the only term used for
> > > our next version. Things are most likely heading towards that direction
> > > for the name AFAIK.
> > >

> > Has anyone considered a possible naming conflict with the other Fedora?
>
> I remember wondering about this a while back, and if my (possibly
> faulty) memory is working, there was talk about legal action - the
> Fedora Library project did come first.
>
> However, I see this now at http://www.fedora.info/redHat.shtml
>
> "Red Hat, Inc. offers open source computer software for operating
> computer systems under the mark FEDORA Project. The FEDORA Project of
> Cornell University and the University of Virginia is not affiliated,
> connected, or associated with the FEDORA Project of Red Hat, Inc.  Red
> Hat, Inc. does not sponsor, approve of, or endorse the FEDORA Project of
> Cornell University and the University of Virginia"
>
> Which suggests (to me) an uneasy peace between the two open source
> projects. I would not be shocked to hear of some sort of financial
> backing of Red Hat of the fedora.info project.

Yes, we've known about the name conflict for quite some time, but to the
best of my knowledge there is disagreement over whether the Cornell/UVa
project's name came first.  "Our" Fedora arose from work Warren Togami
was doing long before Red Hat ever got involved.  The statement on the
Cornell/UVa web site is relatively recent, and I would imagine came
after some some sort of discussions between the legal crews to which we
weren't privy.  Don't lose sleep over it. :-)