Docs Successes and Needs

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Jan 8 17:42:00 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 11:15 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> I should have started this thread on Wednesday but my home schedule has
> been a bit topsy-turvy of late:

Heh, and my work schedule is the usual crazy, so I'm just getting to
this.

Thanks for starting the thread, it helps me prepare for the meeting
tomorrow.

> Successes:
> 1.  Best-in-the-world release notes, provided by the community.
> 2.  Growing contributor base, including work on additional entry-level
> to intermediate-level guides.
> 3.  Progress toward integrating with the Fedora package universe.
 4.  Improvements in integrating/working with Fedora Infrastructure
 5.  Assisting QA/Testing Project with documentation/l10n

> Future Predictions:
> 1.  Possible click-thru on Wiki will allow easier contribution without
> all the GPG+SSH+CLA+EditGroup rigamarole
> 2.  FUDCon presence will result in major updates to available docs,
> making it easier for new people to learn processes
 3. Working across FLOSS projects and distros on improving common
documentation we can all reuse; may happen as a series of injections
upstream, or as a layer we share below upstream that does the injection.

> Outstanding Issues:
> 1.  Translation Project disconnect - what do we need here in concrete
> terms?  App rewrites and process changes?  Red Hat internal group(s)
> originally had ownership of this, yet we've seen no progress in the past
> months... or year(s).
  1.1 Can we help move trans leadership into the community?  Steering
committee?  Something where the distractions of one entity (Red Hat)
don't disable the entire project leadership all at the same time.

> 2.  Content from RH, licensed under our terms (OPL w/no options).
   2.1 In a timely fashion so it has meaning for F7

 3.  Getting more from the developer side; how to engage them?  The
Beats, while successful, are still teeth-pulling exercises before the
release, messing up our work, trans, etc.  Stuff like *docs* in CVS are
unused; same for relnotes at fedoraproject.org.  What can we do to improve
the developers ability and likelihood of documenting?

4.  Should FDP get involved in major cross-stream and upstream
initiatives, such as man/info projects?  What is the FPB's
guidance/preference here?

I'll keep thinking on stuff. :)

Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project