kbase fedora project

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Mon Jan 29 00:45:54 UTC 2007

O/H Marek Mahut έγραψε:
> On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 09:33:01PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Marek Mahut wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>> I want just to ask if there's something new about idea of
>>> fedora kbase listed
>>> over here
>>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/SteeringCommittee/TaskSchedule
>>> ?
>>> I think it's a good idea to make some collection of technical
>>> how to's for users,
>>> and I'm ready to help. Good example is the doc wiki of our
>>> french colleagues http://doc.fedora-fr.org/Accueil.
>> I was interested in this long back. However I couldnt find a
>> easy to use Kbase system written in Python which is the prefered
>> language for the infrastructure team. PHP which is popular
>> language for these are not a option for us.
>>

> Hello,
>
> And why we can't use the same wiki as on fedoraproject.org ? Something like gentoo-wiki.org ?
>
> Maybe Sam or Mike can told us more about the progress on this project.

There is a valid concern on Marek's argument. We currently have the following
placeholders for documentation:

  1. Guides
  2. Release notes
  3. Various wiki pages

Sure, neither docbook or the wiki are suitable for having a FAQ-style knowledge
base. But I believe we should be careful not to create another front that will
fragment our efforts, decrease modularity and last but not least, duplicate our
content (which is not much compared to other distros BTW :).

Some probably necessary technical stuff the system should have could be: a
Fedora account system hook, monitoring of updates, import/export to
wiki/docbook, written in python & opensource.

If we can support this effort *long-term*, then sure, let's go for it. If not,
we should probably think of building the KB in the wiki or docbook.

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos
http://dimitris.glezos.com/