UG?

John Babich jmbabich at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 12:18:13 UTC 2007

On 7/18/07, Jonathan Roberts <jonathan.roberts.uk at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi John, sorry after getting you to do the tasks I never got on to
> actually doing any work :S

It happens...I've moved into a new position at work and have been pretty
busy.

> Been working hard to get another project a little further along (check
> it out, you might be interested, http://questionsplease.org/freeme -
> going to do a Fedora spin today/tomorrow I think :D) but I'm hoping to
> get on to this soon (and the Revisor docs...)

I checked it out...looks interesting.

> These three tasks though:
>
> #
>
> Add high-level explanation of how to add software to the desktop.
> Provide relevant links. Take this task
> #
>
> Add high-level explanation on how to do updates, with links to
> relevant guides. Take this task
> #
> These two I think are already taken care of since we moved the stuff
> over from the SMG?

Quite possibly. I'll review the User Guide one more time and try and refine
the tasks more precisely.

> Choose an application and give a good explanation of how to install it
> and use it. This should be put in the proper category. For instance, a
> description of Exaile should be put in the Playing Multimedia section
> of the FDUG. Take this task
>
> It seems strange to me to only give a clear example of how to use a
> single application? Or have I misunderstood? Also, a good explanation
> of how to install it is covered by the previous tasks, and hence I
> think already done?

I might have worded that task better. The point of this task is for
someone to take
an application, for example, Rhythmbox (as opposed to Exaile, my favorite),
which would be included in the Multimedia section. They can add more detail
concerning Rhythmbox, rather undertaking a revision of the whole Multimedia
section.

By the way, the idea of listing which apps are included by default in the GNOME
and KDE spins of the LiveCD is to make sure no "default" apps are overlooked. A
writer could take a neglected app and include it in the User Guide.

Is that clearer or am I spinning out of control (obscure pun intended)?

John Babich
Volunteer, Fedora Docs Project