vFUDcon ideas

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 18:42:20 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 14:40 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 00:02 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Karsten Wade wrote:
> > > There is a virtual FUDCon happening, which means online, maybe Asterisk
> > > for VoIP conferencing.
> >
> > I am curious about how that would work. Do these provide international
> > toll free dialing? Do you have the ability to record and transcribe it?
>
> I don't know all the ways that the service provisioning will work, since
> I'm (a) not doing it, and (b) not an Asterisk expert.  But I think the
> idea is that people should be able to dial in with an Ekiga or other
> softphone for free from anywhere they can get on an IP based network.  I
> kind of doubt there are time, resources, and money to hook up a
> toll-free hardline phone service, but I would love to be wrong about
> that.  If people can't do a softphone in, though, how likely is it that
> they are planning to participate in the project afterward?

Sorry to reply to myself, but addendum:

Audio recording should be easily possible via the Asterisk server
itself.  As for transcription, if "Someone" can wrangle some volunteers
to do it, then it will be transcribed.  Frankly, I think that would be a
waste of energy compared to other needs; as long as the audio is
available, the purpose is served.