moinmoin {en,em}dash

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Wed Jun 6 21:38:11 UTC 2007

O/H John Poelstra έγραψε:
> Is there a way to do endash (--) or emdash (---) on our wiki pages?  I
> didn't see any guidance here:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/WikiEditing#head-fd34d4a6d1ed33ec3d1ab35c2dd8f47074f75990
>

> Haven't found much on Google except to partially conclude that maybe it
> isn't possible.

The guys at Moin don't seem to believe that they should neither auto-convert
"--" and "---" to en and em dashes respectively, nor use Javascript-based
character maps:

  http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/FeatureRequests/LongDashes

FWIW, I tend to agree in the first argument; it's something the keyboard layout
of a user should take care of instead of the wiki syntax. Most keyboard nowadays
have dead keys (at least 2 of them) which are not being used in the en_{us,uk}
layout (in a extended greek layout the euro sign is Alt_Gr+5). And even on the
en_US extended & international layouts, there are no en and em dashes.

For a no-hacking solution, the GUI editor on the wiki has a character selection
map. Or you could type – — to get them. (eek)

I'm not sure what the effect of a bug report on the GNOME keyboard component
would be.

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos