tix for docs tasks (was BTW Guys)

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 12:36:00 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 20:13 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-06-11 at 15:59 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-06-11 at 19:16 +0200, Paulo Santos wrote:
> > > And we should take a look into this:
> > > http://fedoraproject.org/awstats/docs/awstats.docs.fedoraproject.org.errors404.html
> > >
> > > Its not much, but it would help a bit :)
> >
> > I see a *LOT* of these are people looking for "fc7/" in a hierarchy,
> > which we should probably fix with a mod_rewrite rule on docs.fp.o.  Can
> > we log that as a ticket on OTRS?  How else do we put these sorts of
> > requests in nowadays?  (He said, noticing that so many things have been
> > done perfectly that he hasn't needed to do this in a while.)  :-)
>
> I've been going nuts watching requests fly on mailing lists, so I am
> about to start a "use the ticket system!" campaign.  This would mainly
> be for Websites and Infra, Docs and L10n next.
>
> Anyone object to use using OTRS?
>
> What for, you say?  Well ...
>
> * Feature request
> * Document request
> * Formatting change
> * Email in a ticket when you have a document ready to push to publish
>
> Maybe this sort of thing is more useful for Infra/Websites-type
> projects?

I object.  Why do we want yet another ticketing system for Docs?  I was
under the impression Wil Woods and Luke Macken were collaborating on a
better, easier face for Bugzilla.  Is there something that Bugzilla is
not providing?  People can make feature and document requests there
because we have a docs-request component for it.  We may not be linking
to it well, but that's not Bugzilla's fault.  We've got components for
all our authored documents, etc., etc.  This seems uncomfortably like
the "let's make <N> new lists" problem.