Working, Elegant DocBook to PDF Solution

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Jun 13 18:22:25 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 15:01 -0700, Amit wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I applied for a position in the GSoC project for Fedora. The title of
> the project is "Working, Elegant DocBook to PDF Solution." I was in
> correspondence with Karsten Wade throughout the application process.
> However, the last student slot was cut and this project was not
> chosen.
>
> A few days ago, I received an email from Karsten asking me if I was
> still interested in the project. I was very much interested and thus I
> am posting my original proposal (abridged - removed some items such as
> schedules) for the GSoC project here. If the solution sounds viable
> and applicable, we could definitely get the project going.

Amit, thanks for your continued interest.  This is a great chance for us
all to collaborate on something often asked for, a good PDF toolchain.

The proposal is pretty well vetted, in that Paul, Patrick, and I went
over all the concepts and agree that this is the currently best
approach.  We also think it is useful for our toolchain to support
multiple methods for accomplishing a goal.  There are reasons why one
would choose passivetex, FOP, or ReportLab as ways to get a PDF.

cheers - Karsten
--
   Karsten Wade, 108 Editor       ^     Fedora Documentation Project