Links on docs.fp.o

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 03:33:03 UTC 2007

A link to a "Live CD Howto/Introduction" showed up on the front page
recently.  I know Karsten probably added this to get this page some
extra juice from the community, and that is a noble goal.

However, I'd like to raise an ominous spectre, that of wikifying our
docs.fp.o presence (where "wikifying" means "reducing content quality
and translatability").  Our mission is to publish high-quality
documentation, and the page in question hasn't been edited at all in the
three weeks since it was linked, which tells me that users are getting
there from someplace else, and/or our many potential contributors
looking for work are not seeing these changes when they happen.

Is it out of place for me to suggest we require wiki pages to be edited
before they're linked from here?  Otherwise we risk being just a front
end for the wiki, which is practically the same as simply keeping all
our docs there.  *shudder*

Would there be a major objection to removing this from our docs.fp.o
front page, and adding it as a task on the wiki?  This would be an
excellent task for someone who's a good wordsmith but doesn't have time
to learn any high-powered docs tools.