[Fwd: Election Results]

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 1 18:25:11 UTC 2007

Paul W. Frields wrote:

> Actually, this *is* an interesting perspective of many users (of
> anything, as a matter of fact), that tends to take root when the vendor
> or offering entity doesn't have any clear hooks on which they can "sell"
> a product.  This has been written about in a bunch of places, but I
> think most recently I've seen it come up tangentially on the "Creating
> Passionate Users" blog, which everyone around here should probably check
> out -- if only for a couple of priceless articles on good user manuals.
>
> FDS may or may not be fantastic, but it is poorly "marketed" and for
> darn sure it doesn't get talked about much.

I dont know where you are looking but I see it talked about in even
other distribution forums quite often.

  Quite a lot of that may be
> due to the fact that the folks working on it are very busy trying to
> make it better and don't have time to do that important user outreach.
> Fedora does a pretty good job project-wide on the whole, but even we can
> have problems from time to time getting our important messages out.  And
> FDS is a weird subproject that hasn't received a lot of love from the
> community, and has been more of a "throw it over the wall" contribution,
> albeit a really cool one.

Are you talking about perception or reality? Reality is that Fedora
Directory Server has full time developers working on cleaning up the
codebase (lots of cruft from its life as Netscape Directory Server) and
adding new features. fedora-ds-base is even in Fedora Extras now thanks
to folks from the community working on the reviews and sending patches.
Java is a blocker for the nice gui on top but we should reach there soon.

Rahul