DocsProject wikispace reorganization [RFC]

Bart Couvreur couf at skynet.be
Sat Mar 3 18:19:50 UTC 2007

Paul W. Frields schreef:
> On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 19:58 +0100, Bart Couvreur wrote:
[snip]

>> So here's a reorganization proposal:
>>
>> DocsProject/
>>  |-- Join
>>  |    |--Writer
>>  |    |--Editor
>>  |    \--Translator
>>  |-- Goals / Mission
>>  |-- Schedule
>>  |    \--some pages with details (e.g. specific schedules on DUG, IG)
>>  |-- Tasks (considering all FDP related tasks and processes)
>>  |    |--Guides
>>  |    |--Relnotes
>>  |    |--Browser splash page
>>  |    |--Plone
>>  |    |--Ideas-page
>>  |    \--Release announcement (not sure if we should do this)
>>  |-- FDSCo (or steering committee)
>>  |    |--Charter
>>  |    |--Meeting minutes
>>  |    |--Elections
>>  |    |--Nominations
>>  |    \--Task Schedule
>>  \-- Workflow
>>       |--Docbook (how to write + intro)
>>       |--CVS (usage)
>>       |--Wiki (how to write)
>>       |--Publishing (web, PDF?)
>>       \--Tools
>>
>> And some general ideas:
>> a) Create a default template for all Docs-related pages on the wiki
>> (breadcrumb, default header, ...) to create a common look-and-feel
>> b) Move everything in /Docs/Drafts to DocsProject/Drafts so users know
>> that everything in /Docs is published documentation.
>>
>> As I said, it's all just an idea / proposal. Comments?
>
> As an exercise in -- I don't know, hubris? ignorance? -- I'm going to
> look at this list and make sugggestions, *completely blind* to the
> actual content of the current wiki.

Yeah, that's the actual reason of the exercise, find out what works best
without looking into what we have now.

> 1.  Goals/Mission should be combined, cut down to a single concise
> paragraph or list, and appear on the front page.
+1

> 2.  The FDSCo/TaskSchedule stuff should be moved under the Schedule/
> namespace.  Everyone can work on these tasks, not just FDSCo members,
> and both the Publication Schedule and the DocTools Schedule should be
> linked or transcluded on the main schedule page.

True, this is the reason that I added some 'schedule-details' pages to
the idea-tree.

> 3.  The Workflow pages are a great asset and should relieve the
> Documentation Guide of some of its content.  I think Karsten was in
> agreement with this point, since we worked on that some at FUDCon.

Good idea.

> 4.  The browser splash page now exists, and there's probably no need to
> document it on the wiki -- we can use Bugzilla for RFE's or to track
> problems and to-do's.

Bugzilla could be workable, but it's easier for externals to the project
to add ideas to a wiki-page, imo. Dimitris what's your point of view
about this?

> 5.  There should perhaps be a Join item for Toolchain Builder.
>
> That's all I have.  This is a great goal and I would love to see people
> start cobbling on this stuff ASAP once we have buy-in from enough
> contributors.  Bart, I think you just elected yourself point-man! :-)

Don't shoot the point-man! Sure, I'm willing to spearhead the effort :-)

Bart

- --
Bart <couf at fedoraproject.org> <couf at skynet.be>
key fingerprint: 6AAB 544D 3432 D013 776D  3602 ADB6 6B2A D93F 0F93