conduct of meetings and voting in FDSCo

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sun Mar 4 20:42:23 UTC 2007

We just had a proposal/idea on #fedora-docs:

* The mailing list is for making decisions

* IRC meetings are for discussions, working-on-stuff

* FDSCo can call a vote/consensus check in IRC if 4+ members are
present:
  - If only 4 members, the vote must be unanimous
    - If not unanimous, vote must be put-off for a majority presence
  - If only 5 members, the vote must be 4+
  - If fewer than 4 members, send a message to the list
  - If urgency/emergency situation, the members present on IRC make the
best decision they can, alert the list, and hope for the best
    - This kind of thing happens around release time when release
engineering needs a decision and we have five minutes to decide or lose
our chance. :)
* We have the ability to call for a consensus check or vote on IRC even
when a formal meeting is not being held:
  - Notice must be sent to the list so members not present can have a
say
  - Decisions made this way can change after more list discussion
  - The email you are reading as self-referential example of this

The idea is to make it a pleasure to attend meetings but not mandatory.
The pleasure is that, for the most part, the FDSCo participants have
preferred a "working meeting"-style instead of a "decision making"-style
of meeting.  Working can mean "active discussion and problem solving",
which can lead to decisions that are sent to the list (like this
message!)

Because decisions are not the focus of an IRC meeting, it means that
FDSCo can have meetings at dual-times to cover all members timezones,
and there is not an obligation to attend.  Discussion and decision is
pushed to IRC. But there is room to make decisions in a fair manner.

Then our fixed meeting time/window becomes a place to:

1. Check/update status
2. Regroup and reissue the week's agenda

The outcome of this fixed meeting is:

1. A log to IRC
2. An updated of scheduled tasks
3. A new thread for the week that details the new/updated agenda under
discussion/decision

Thoughts?

Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project