Docs translations

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Mar 8 00:52:50 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 22:37 +0000, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
> Hey all.
>
> Today we had a lengthy discussion on IRC about the way we should handle
> translations in Fedora. The plan is basically to move applications (and their PO
> files) that are being developed on elvis (a RH server)  over to
> 'cvs.fedoraproject.org'. It seems that this will not happen before the F7 release.
>
> We have already created a CVS group 'cvsl10n' and all translators will be asked
> to open Fedora accounts and will be added to this group.
>
> As a Docs project, we have the choice *not* to wait for F7 and migrate the
> translation process right away. The 'fp.org -> i18n -> fp' process for PO files
> is tedious for quaid and stickster. This means that translations for Docs will
> happen in the Docs repository, which is much easier for translators (as long as
> they have a Fedora account).
>
> If there is no objection, we can apply the 'cvsl10n' ACLs on the po directory
> right away and test the translator's access. The L10n team will try its best to
> make sure we get as much translations as possible, even if our po files will be
> hosted on a different SCM than the rest of the Fedora apps.
>
> Comments?

+1

Many translators have made the move to get a Fedora account already.  We
risk losing a few people who might have translated through elvis/i18n
CVS, but IMO it is a low risk.  We also may gain some translators
because of the publicity or the move-toward-fedoraproject.org (which
matters to some people.)

We have agreement to completely migrate off elvis when F7 is out, so the
translators are doing themselves a favor to get a FAS account now.

Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project