CVS reorg

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 16:22:25 UTC 2007

I am planning to do a little housecleaning in CVS, but particularly the
"docs-common" module.  We have a number of areas in that module in which
rendered content is saved along with source data, when this content
could be produced on an "as-needed" basis by the user.  Here are some
examples:

1.  Eliminate PNG and EPS files from docs-common/images/ and
docs-common/stylesheet-images/, instead saving only SVG (XML) and using
PO and librsvg2 to generate new PNG files.  Include a single fallback
watermark so that users do not need to install librsvg2 (and drag in
GNOME) to test document builds.

+ Saves >800 KB of d/l bandwidth for users.
+ po/ directory should pick up ACL mask for translators.

2.  Eliminate repetitive XML files from docs-common/common/ and
docs-common/common/entities/, again using PO instead, and adapting build
tools to use PO on-the-fly rather than requiring users to download
unused files.

+ Saves >600-700 KB of d/l bandwidth for users.
+ No additional tools required other than what is already used (xml2po)

3.  I also see there is some chaff in the
docs-common/stylesheet-images/, particularly a "titlepage.png" and
"titlepage.eps" that were probably there for testing the press release
stuff back in the day.  I will probably remove those to the attic; SVG
gladly accepted to replace them if desired.

+ Saves 1 MB (!) of d/l bandwidth for users.

Although a simple "du -sk" command shows that docs-common is over 6.5 MB
in size, that's a bit misleading, as we're seeing *disk block usage*.
That number reflects 50-75% overhead for many of the small (< 4KB) files
in use.  "du -sbc" shows a much more reasonable ~3.3 MB.  The savings
above should cut that down to just several hundred KB.

Discussion?