translation theory question

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Mar 14 01:25:40 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 20:06 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 23:43 +0000, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
> > So, I think some translators would appreciate the diff file, or a list of
> > msgid's from the POT that have had only minor changes.
>
> So, that diff file is automatically created by CVS commits.  How abo'tut
> using that to seed the solution for this problem, then?

Feature request for our new system, then ...

... presuming it sends email alerts of changes in the POT and that it
has been automerged with the PO ...

... then we can filter the incoming stream of the SCM diff, looking for
special characters as the only change (punctuation), and so forth.

Is there any logic or algorithm we can apply to the stream of changes to
look for larger meaning changes v. minor corrections (spelling,
punctuation, minor grammar)?

If not, perhaps part of the WUI gives writers a place to tag a bunch of
msgids as having minor changes.

Only if the writer did a commit for every change with a keyword (minor,
major, etc.) could we get a granular, per-msgid stream of the type of
change.  However, with a smart editor, you could do this fairly easily
(background SCM commit).  That's a lot of tools and process to require
of writers.

We're likely to only get to be so granular.

Would that level of detail be useful?  Sounds like it.  Should we add
this somewhere on the "new Web UI wish list"?

Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project