Docs translations

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Sat Mar 17 04:06:52 UTC 2007

O/H Karsten Wade έγραψε:
> On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 22:37 +0000, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
>> Hey all.
>>
>> Today we had a lengthy discussion on IRC about the way we should handle
>> translations in Fedora. The plan is basically to move applications (and their PO
>> files) that are being developed on elvis (a RH server)  over to
>> 'cvs.fedoraproject.org'. It seems that this will not happen before the F7 release.
>>
>> We have already created a CVS group 'cvsl10n' and all translators will be asked
>> to open Fedora accounts and will be added to this group.
>>
>> As a Docs project, we have the choice *not* to wait for F7 and migrate the
>> translation process right away. The 'fp.org -> i18n -> fp' process for PO files
>> is tedious for quaid and stickster. This means that translations for Docs will
>> happen in the Docs repository, which is much easier for translators (as long as
>> they have a Fedora account).
>>
>> If there is no objection, we can apply the 'cvsl10n' ACLs on the po directory
>> right away and test the translator's access. The L10n team will try its best to
>> make sure we get as much translations as possible, even if our po files will be
>> hosted on a different SCM than the rest of the Fedora apps.
>>
>> Comments?
>
> +1

Done and tested: Members of the 'cvsl10n' group now have read-write access in
`/cvs/docs/*/po/` but read-only access in the rest of the Docs dirs.

I believe it would be good if we give translators a list of recommendations on
what to translate and the priority of that translation. For example, `homepage`
is of very high priority (highly visible, small), one should translate the PO
inside the `devel` directory but also FC-6 (and notify us if we really need to
push an update) and it would be OK to do it now because it will get very few
changes before the release. These are a lot of information for each of our docs,
but I think such a page with detailed information for all our Docs would be
highly beneficial for all. The only page related to what I mention is '/wiki/Docs'.

Here's a list of things we might want to consider listing for each of our Docs:

 * Name
 * Short name
 * Target audience
 * Maintained at
 * Published at

Translation-specifics:

 * Exposure / priority
 * Need to translate also non-devel branch? (ie, will it be republished?)
 * Start translating at
 * Stop translating at

Do you think this is unnecessary, not rational? Comments?

I've also prepared a very quick page for new translators, over at:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N/Join

Please make any corrections & suggestions before we announce it.

did-you-know-that Q of the day

Did you know that...

...probably more than 2500 people have contributed translations to the Fedora
Project? People with access on Fedora CVS are about 1200.

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos
http://dimitris.glezos.com/