DUG Review

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Wed Mar 21 01:26:14 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>> I asked some time ago about a problem I had
>> following some instructions in the DUG,
>> and was told that the assumption was that
>> the reader was running Gnome rather than KDE.
>>
>> It seems to me pretty silly to start by discarding
>> half (or more) of one's audience.
>
> Complaining is only half the part though. The guide is GNOME centric
> because the volunteers who wrote it preferred to focus on the default
> environment and applications. If you want to you are welcome to
> contribute to a KDE specific equivalent.

As I said before, if the authors assume the reader is running Gnome
then it would be more honest to call the document the "Gnome Users Manual".

It's actually pretty damaging to Fedora to give the impression
that if you prefer KDE you should choose another distribution.

I think I am fairly broad-minded, but when I was told
that my enquiry was inappropriate because I was running KDE
I more or less lost interest in the documentation project -
which in my opinion should be the most important aspect of Fedora.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366