DUG Review

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 21 01:52:54 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>>> I asked some time ago about a problem I had
>>> following some instructions in the DUG,
>>> and was told that the assumption was that
>>> the reader was running Gnome rather than KDE.
>>>
>>> It seems to me pretty silly to start by discarding
>>> half (or more) of one's audience.
>> Complaining is only half the part though. The guide is GNOME centric
>> because the volunteers who wrote it preferred to focus on the default
>> environment and applications. If you want to you are welcome to
>> contribute to a KDE specific equivalent.
>
> As I said before, if the authors assume the reader is running Gnome
> then it would be more honest to call the document the "Gnome Users Manual".

GNOME users manual would be inappropriate since the guide covers both
the default desktop environment for Fedora Core 6 and associated default
applications. For example it covers Firefox which not be there in a
GNOME user manual.

> It's actually pretty damaging to Fedora to give the impression
> that if you prefer KDE you should choose another distribution

The fact that Fedora includes KDE and that we have many KDE specific
applications and a active special interest group having weekly meetings
   planning on the KDE live CD and spin for Fedora should be sufficient
enough for users to understand that they can very well use KDE on Fedora.

> I think I am fairly broad-minded, but when I was told
> that my enquiry was inappropriate because I was running KDE
> I more or less lost interest in the documentation project -
> which in my opinion should be the most important aspect of Fedora.

Where were you told your enquiry was inappropriate? Can you point me to
that? It just appears you are reading things that werent there. Again if
you want KDE specific content feel free to contribute. I can guarantee
you that it is desirable to do that especially since we will have a KDE
specific live CD as well as a spin for Fedora 7 release and you would be
welcome to help to create the necessary equivalent content to match that.

Rahul