Welcome wizzard

Jonathan Roberts jonathan.roberts.uk at googlemail.com
Wed May 16 17:30:30 UTC 2007

I fear you might have taken my idea past what I was thinking of...

> Even more important to windoze users first trying out LInux is going to be
> equivalents. Send them to VI and they'll run screaming into the night back
> to windoze. So Kedit/Gedit = notepad  Openoffice = Word  GIMP= photoshop
> kinds of tutorials would be a big help. So too would how file permissions
> and such work. How to set up cups is pretty essential. Scanners, digital
> cameras and such as well.

This seems a pretty comprehensive list, going beyond what i originally
had in mind. These sorts of things probably belong more in a formal
document (thinking the Fedora/Desktop User guide) rather than a quick
wizard which orientates you.

>Another crucial aspect is pointing folks toward
> K3b. It will make CD burning easy for even the most novice windoze user.
> Nothing comes close in the Linux world to K3b. Though this implies auto
> installing at least the KDE libs, technically you want to just install KDE.
> Folks that have space issues that would preclude KDE's installation are not
> going to use such a wizard anyway. That is one thing I wish Fedora would
> correct, the default install will put only Gnome on. That leaves half of the
> important apps uninstalled.  A default Fedora install is not a very friendly
> install to a new Linux user. Vets can easily remove things they don't want,
> so I feel the install should default more toward the kitchen sink rather
> than the lean install that is currently used.

I think there's good reasons why they've gone with the default package
manifest. I don't know exactly what they are but I'm sure others could
explain :D

> The feedback I get from lots of first time Linux users is that they get
> lost. They have no idea what to do with their brand spanking new Linux
> installation. Some things like how to configure networking has to be local
> on the HD. Without it they cannot reach the FAQs on the net.
>
> Other things like pointers to the better Linux games while not important for
> business users would help generate more interest in Linux. A tutorial on
> window managers with snap shots of what the major ones look like, how to
> install them and such would also be a big help. What is especially important
> is how to configure repositories. They will be unable to use the Unofficial
> FAQ to get anything through Yum without first adding a repository. I know
> Redhat does not add this repository to avoid getting sued over copywrites
> and such but don't see where there'd be any harm in using a certain
> repository as an example of how to add a repository :)

Most of these things are currently covered by the Desktop/Fedora User Guide...

> There is a learning curve no matter what we do but it can be made a whole
> lot less steep with Jonathan's idea and the script I am proposing.

Check out Fedora Frog? Might be what you're thinking of. This isn't
really what I had in mind though.

Best,

Jon