[Fedora Project Wiki] Update of "Docs/Drafts/DesktopUserGuide/Desktops" by JohnBabich

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sun May 20 14:36:36 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-05-20 at 07:20 +0300, John Babich wrote:
> I have been suffering from "analysis paralysis", also known as "writer's
> block". That's why I decided to go with a "brain dump" to get the creative
> juices flowing.
>
> At the same time, it was a bit upsetting to have this doc critiqued rather
> heavily while clearly in the early stages (at least in my mind). It's
> like trying
> to write a song and somebody comes along and says, "Hey, dude, your
> instrument's out of tune".

Sorry I broke your momentum.  (I did remove the name from the commit to
protect the innocent, but you outed yourself!) ;-)  I was hoping someone
-- preferably a lurker volunteer -- would see the note and say, "hey, I
could help correct those kinds of problems," and hop in to help.  We'll
see if that happens...

I picked up a lot of the style and composition tips I posted while
working on this very project as a new user.  There are good reasons to
take a more objective approach in writing, and you, I, and other writers
can keep these things in mind as we write.  But if you're simply trying
to beef up content quickly, there's no reason to spend a lot of time
self-editing, to be sure.  In other words, you can look at those
criticisms, and say to yourself, "Great, I'll look at that once I've
finished dumping raw content."