README-BURNING-ISOS

David Fletcher fcdocs at fletchersweb.net
Wed May 2 23:21:20 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 02 May 2007 01:21, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> We have a neat Making Fedora Discs guide, but it needs some extra love
> before the release.  When I started worrying about how to update this
> document so late, and yet have it make the release, I realized I was
> thinking about it all wrong:
>
> 1.  Including the document in the fedora-release-notes is relatively
> worthless; once you have a system installed, you've either burned the
> discs already, or didn't need to.
>
> 2.  Putting the files on the ISO images is similarly worthless.
>
> I was thinking the following idea is much more logical:
>
> 1.  Torrents and mirrors should carry a single tiny ASCII file,
> README-Making-Discs, which will be a one-sentence link to
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/readme-burning-isos/ -- that URL carries
> the full document in all its newfound glory.
>
> 2.  Revising the existing R-B-I document is not a big job and will only
> take about an hour -- but it will produce a lot of fuzzy strings for
> translators.  However, they'll have several weeks to fix the PO files,
> because the real document can be published on the fly, as late as the
> day before the release (and errata issued just like any other doc).
>
> Comments?

Is this by any chance the document I started 15 months ago? The one I wrote
with the intention of it being included in the ISO download folders for FC5?
I followed the link provided above, and it's changed a lot but parts of it
still look vaguely familiar.

No matter, it's taking a while, but so long as it gets there in the end I'm
happy to have contributed and made a small difference to the good.

Dave Fletcher

--
Registered Linux user number 393408