README-BURNING-ISOS

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu May 3 12:40:36 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 21:54 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 08:45 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
> > I was thinking of posting a query on this before why does the main docs
> > page at http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ have a list of language codes
> > instead of full descriptions like the above page? Is it because of space
> > constraints. It might be still be better to list in two columns instead
> > of abbreviating it.
>
> Paul just made the change to readme-burning-isos/index.html to make
> those appear.  The story on the main page is that I did a minimal amount
> to make it accurate and better than it was before, but I didn't try for
> major improvements for what is a temporary situation.

Not to mention which, putting the language names all on the main page
isn't helpful, since it just puts too much content on the page.  We
already know that too many links on a page is bad for usability.  In the
meantime, simply linking the document name to a page full of localized
language names would be better, because Rahul is absolutely right that
e.g. "italiano" is better than "it."

What *would* be helpful is different pages, by locale, that include the
translated titles of all the documentation, so for example, pt_BR
speakers see "Guia Rápido de Tradução" instead of "Translation Quick
Start Guide" on their page.

> > The above document doesn't appear in the main page either.
>
> Ah, you are correct.  In fact, a number of documents went to the -en
> version as some type of default, yet it was inconsistent.  I made all
> links got to the document landing page, where all the locales are
> listed.
>
> That's probably enough for now.  Time is currently better spent on
> getting Plone ready to do this job for us. :)

Hear, hear -- Plone should be able to put up a different page for each
user based on his or her locale.  Something tells me this is going to be
some work and growing pains, but that should be the goal.