Welcome wizzard

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed May 16 22:25:48 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 17:36 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 17:18 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 21:17 +0100, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I don't know if this is off topic, or even just wishful thinking, but
> > > has any sort of a welcome wizard been considered?
> > >
> > > GNU/Linux (and Fedora) is different to what a lot of new users will
> > > have been used to, and some sort of a welcome wizard which just points
> > > them in the right direction for common items, i.e. software installer
> > > etc might be useful.
> > >
> > > I have no idea if other people think this would be worthwhile, or how
> > > you might go about creating it! Thoughts?
> >
> > You're thinking of a local/fat application?  Something that is kicked
> > off by the completion of firstboot?
>
> In other words, a firstboot module.  These can be fairly rich in
> content.

Firstboot is NOT a good solution for this.

1) it runs outside a regular session, so the user cannot actually see
  what you explain to him

2) only the first user to start the machine after installation gets to
   see it

3) you cannot easily revisit it at a later time

What you want is a firstlogin that runs after the first login of every
new user.