SIGs, projects, and leadership

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Nov 21 19:15:07 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 13:11 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 12:02 +0300, John Babich wrote:

> > > when signing-up with the docs project.
> > >
> > > **Thats how it was supposed to read **
> > >

> > Thanks for the clarification, Vladimir.
> >
> > Signing up for the Fedora Docs Project is not a straight-forward process.
> > Surely, someone signs up with his or her "eyes wide open".
> >
> > Once a person volunteers, I think it is reasonable to ask them for a specific
> > commitment of time or talent. If someone fails to deliver, it should be noted
> > and that person should be asked respectfully if there is a blocking issue or
> > another priority preventing the completion of the task. I include myself in this
> > process of accountability.
>
> It's a very touchy thing, dealing with responsibility in a volunteer
> project.  The notion of whip-cracking is a little daunting, but people
> who are committed generally are also self-directing.  I would say that
> if we ever got into the bind that we needed to remind someone about
> accountability, we as a project are doing something wrong.  The folks
> contributing time and effort should be appreciated fairly and
> proportionally for what they do.

You know, having the progress bars for l10n hasn't hurt the volunteer
community:

http://translate.fedoraproject.org/releases/fedora-8

It is a very visible accountability and serves as a reminder/target to
shoot for.  People aren't afraid of being accountable or they wouldn't
have come in the first place.

Since our situation is much less complex, we could cook up some easy to
manually update graphics for our several guides.

Alternately, we could go to John Poelstra and get some help in cooking
up a proper TaskJuggler schedule. :)

Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41