SIGs, projects, and leadership

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 21:59:59 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 11:18 -0800, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 13:11 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
> > I fear my blurting out something that came to mind has made me seem a
> > little too much like an agent provocateur.  But in essence, this is
> > indeed what I meant: that with the few hands we have, perhaps we're best
> > served by eliminating as much administration as possible, to the extent
> > it frees up resources/time.
>
> You are right, I picked up on this as a theme and a way to get a
> conversation going.

Great -- I was afraid I might be misunderstood or, much worse, that I
might have given offense to you, among others.  To the rest of the folks
on the list who may be somewhat new, be assured that Karsten was one of
my original mentors in Fedora-land, and we are good buddies.  He knows
me well enough by now to know that I sometimes throw goofy ideas for the
sole purpose of having him show me why they're, well... goofy.

> We just have overly-stretched leaders, but the project itself is
> healthy.

Strangely, this release I felt like, although there was quite a bit
going on, I felt pretty much on top of the things I was doing.
Nevertheless (read on)...

> As I'm trying to renew *all* the commitments in my life that have been
> suffering over the months, I want to be sure that each one still needs
> me and what I have to offer.
>
> Also, I think it's good to have a strong leader for an important project
> like this one.  I just want to make sure there is room in this garden to
> grow other leaders.  When there are too few of us, we spread ourselves
> thin, and it acts like a mulch that suppresses the growth of other
> leaders.  It's a bizarre and ironic effect.

Absolutely true, which is why I made the commitment to get out of the
way for release notes.  We have a growing number of people pitching in,
and I think showing them how to do business is our most important goal
right now.

> A solution is to rip ourselves up from doing tasks, thereby making room
> for someone else to do that task, get the nourishment, and grow.
>
> Therefore, elections *and* a review of who is doing what are both very
> useful right now.  Let us proceed.

Mush!  Mush!

           Fedora Project: http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/