Release Announcement

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 12:04:45 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 03:53 -0400, Jason Taylor wrote:

> On 10/2/07, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
>         On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 19:20 -0400, Jason Taylor wrote:
>         > I never heard back from the release engineering folks and I
>         looked
>         > through various developer lists but was unable to find
>         anything that
>         > tracked major changes, there are a ton of minor changes to
>         packages
>         > but as far as anything major changing...There a specific
>         place that
>         > tracks this sort of thing...
>
>         If possible, Jason, try and post your replies at the bottom of
>         a thread,
>         to make it easier to read the discussion as it goes along.
>
>         I would like to make one suggestion -- let's not start the
>         announcement
>         with a list of bugs.  Not necessarily putting our best foot
>         forward!
>         The test2 release announcement is here:
>
>         https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2007-September/msg00002.html
>
>         I think that is more along the lines of what release engineers
>         are
>         looking for.  It might make more sense to direct people to the
>         http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/F8Common page and track
>         these bugs
>         there, so anything not fixed by F8 GA will already be in place
>         on that
>         page.  That's the same namespacing we have used in previous
>         releases.
>
>         Also, note we have this page for use in the final Fedora 8
>         release
>         announcement:
>
>         http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/ReleaseAnnouncements
>
>         It needs to be updated from F7 to F8.  Are you (or is anyone)
>         interested
>         in taking charge of this page, updating the schedule for F8,
>         mailing
>         other lists as appropriate to notify them of content, and
>         generally
>         tracking the tasks listed on that page?
>
> The idea was once I had the list of new packages and/or changes
> compiled that would go at the top of the list. I could possibly take
> care of the  ReleaseAnnouncements page, what kind of time frame?

Super!  As for the time frame for ReleaseAnnouncements -- according to
the page itself, the talking points for F7 were ready about 8 days
before the release date, so that should give you some idea.  Does that
sound doable to you?

And I apologize in advance for being a netiquette nazi, but if you could
post in plain ASCII text, it would help the many subscribers we have who
aren't using GUI mail readers.  If you're using the Gmail interface to
read and send mail, you'll find there's a "Plain text" button above the
editor which should allow you to send messages in the proper format.
You can toggle this back and forth for other uses, of course.

           Fedora Project: http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/