Administration-Guide

Bart Couvreur couf at skynet.be
Thu Oct 25 06:31:25 UTC 2007

Op dinsdag 23-10-2007 om 15:19 uur [tijdzone -0400], schreef Mike
Dittmeier:
> Ok,
>
> I'll blame my lack of progress on being the new kid on the block. I am
> trying to checkout the existing Administration-guide project from cvs,
> and finding that there is only an empty shell of a project there as
> well as the administration-guide-devel project. Am I checking out the
> wrong project, or are we just starting this project? I have a chapter
> for Sendmail setup and configuration I would like to incorporate the
> chapters into the guide as well as other docs that I plan on updating
> for the following areas:
>
> users and groups
> network
> dns
> dhcpd
> iptables
> nis
> ldap
> dovecot
> squirrelmail
> mailman
> apache
> vncserver
> squid
> vsftpd
> cups
> snmpd
> mrtg
> webalizer
> syslog
> systat
> amanda

Hi Mike,

very nice list :-)

I should have sent this to the list too, but I missed that somehow:

<mail>
Hi,

I'd like to get the ball rolling, so we could have a sort of an
intermediate release the end of next month.

We've already got some stuff on the wiki[1] that we could
reuse/extend/...

The current topics list is quite broad, we might want to cut down, the
further we go. So how do I see the overall picture here:
      * Part on basic system administration
              * users / groups admin
              * yum / yumex (basic stuff and link to the Yum Guide)
              * partitions, mounting, permissions
              * task scheduling
              * (add your ideas here)
      * Services / servers
              * basic services management (system-config-services,
                chkconfig, service, init.d-scripts)
              * Basic home-network stuff: NFS, SSH,
              * describing some broadly used servers (mail, web, DNS,
                samba, ...)
              * (add your ideas here)
      * anything else

Just keep in mind that we don't need to cover *all* of this, the things
we can tackle, we'll get done and the rest will be for later (or others
to join in).

So what do you think?

Thanks in advance,
Bart
</mail>

Our lists seem very similar :-)

Bart

--
Bart <couf at fedoraproject.org> <couf at skynet.be>
key fingerprint: 6AAB 544D 3432 D013 776D  3602 ADB6 6B2A D93F 0F93