Reviewing spec file descriptions

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Oct 30 20:59:51 UTC 2007

> Hi,
>
> Each of the RPM packages in Fedora have descriptions in their spec files
>   and while many of them are good, there are quite a few ones that are
> vague and not descriptive enough.
>
> I think the documentation team should look into this and maybe review
> guidelines can include a sign-off from someone in the documentation team
> to verify the quality of the descriptions.
>
> This is also very good for new contributors to participate (along with
> kbase.fedoraproject.org when it's launched) and help out without any
> long term commitment involved.
>
> Comments?

That's an idea that has been kicking around RH docs folks for a while,
but hasn't gone anywhere so far.  Seems like a great time to see it
through to completion!

I agree with you, and also have had the experience of waiting for the
long haul to get a few lines changed in a RHEL package info.  By doing
it as part of an overall process, we are more likely to see real changes
made.

There are two basic ways:

1. New tooling + human process
2. Human process

We might be able to do number 2 without too much pain.  One question is,
how to get the change(s) committed to the package's SCM?  What role for
Bugzilla in this?

I can imagine good requirements but what tool can could fill them?
Something like Transifex for spec instead of PO/POT files. :)

Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41