status of sudo-tutorial.xml ?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 16:30:36 UTC 2007

Another repost by permission of the author.

On Mon, 2007-09-03 at 09:06 -0400, Nelson Strother wrote:
> If you will forgive me for cluttering your mailbox more, I will go
> ahead and pose a question now that I had planned to ask once the
> WiFiNetworking manual was posted.
>
>   I ask you these questions since
> http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/sudo-tutorial/en_US/rpm-info.xml?root=docs&view=markup
> shows <editor worker="PaulWFrields"/>, even though
>   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/EditorAssignments?highlight=%28sudo%29
> shows Editor: UNASSIGNED.
>
>   Might you be able to share some history?  Is there a licensing
> issue, political issue, or just author distraction from completing a
> draft?  (In my limited experience it is unusual to see what appears to
> be the most accessible and current draft document hosted somewhere
> other than fedoraproject.org.)  Yes, section 4 is yet incomplete, but
> the preamble and postlude would lead one to expect a complete and
> high-quality section 4.
>
>   In the current draft of the WiFiNetworking manual I do reference
> this sudo document, but that may be a bad idea if you believe it will
> remain incomplete for additional years or forever.

The Docs Project has continually struggled with the amount of process
for our documentation work.  Too much process and the contributors are
strangled by bureaucracy; too little and we lose track of work done and
work remaining.  We already have an owners/ module in CVS for recording
responsible parties, and I would think we should not need to track
editor assignments for wiki documents, since we want community editors
to pitch in at will with no barriers to momentum.  When documents are
due for conversion to official status, the owners/owners.list file
should be sufficient to track them.

All of this has nothing to do with the specific document in question.
As shown in the rpm-info.xml metadata[1], apparently I did some editing
on this document and never finished it entirely.  If you'd like to refer
to it, I can definitely get back into it and do some more work.  (It
would be nice if we had editorially-minded folks who were interested in
taking up this task, since I have rather a lot on my plate with release
< 2 months out!) :-)

Rest assured no other issues exist other than time and resources.  If
you're so inclined, perhaps you'd like to learn enough CVS skills to
edit the document in place according to our style guidelines[2]?  As
always, we remain eager and ready to help you here or on IRC at
Freenode, #fedora-docs.

= = =
[1] http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/sudo-tutorial/en_US/rpm-info.xml?root=docs&view-markup
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/StyleGuide