Kindly Cast ur Vote: Text Vs. Interactive flash/video guides

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 12:03:13 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 03:43 +0500, Mustafa Qasim wrote:
> Hello!
>          I was wondering that how much it would be beneficial to
> develop interactive flash/video guides instead of long text guides for
> certain purposes like teaching newbie how to use the tools required by
> a project and let him feel comfortable with the Fedora Project
> environment in a short time so, he can start the work(that is actually
> needed) instead of wasting his first few days asking how to create
> account, where to create the keys and bla bla bla.
>
> Do you think it can be helpful for home users for whom CVS and GPG
> Keys etc are alien?
>
> Kindly share your thought. Please reply with
> +1 - If you think yes
> -1 - If you think not
>
> further suggestions/comments are more then welcomed.

I think we've talked about this before -- you will probably want to
Google search the archives at Gmane or elsewhere, searching for the term
"screencasts."  I think everyone was in favor, but there are a couple
caveats:

1.  Video is much higher bandwidth than text, so the author(s) would
need to plan accordingly.
2.  No audio would be appropriate, since there's no easy way to
translate it.

Other folks may have some additional points to make, but I think there's
no one against it per se.