Kindly Cast ur Vote: Text Vs. Interactive flash/video guides

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Sat Sep 22 07:41:39 UTC 2007

Στις 21-09-2007, ημέρα Παρ, και ώρα 03:43 +0500, ο/η Mustafa Qasim
έγραψε:
> Hello!
>          I was wondering that how much it would be beneficial to
> develop interactive flash/video guides instead of long text guides for
> certain purposes like teaching newbie how to use the tools required by
> a project and let him feel comfortable with the Fedora Project
> environment in a short time so, he can start the work(that is actually
> needed) instead of wasting his first few days asking how to create
> account, where to create the keys and bla bla bla.
>
> Do you think it can be helpful for home users for whom CVS and GPG
> Keys etc are alien?

+1, definitely. Screencasts are useful, and that's proved by their
popularity. It would be great if we had screencasts for some "complex"
docs tasks -- I'm about to create one for transifex. It's definitely
better than nothing, having in mind what Paul said: they're more or less
a one-off thing with zero maintenance.

Also, maybe to show off of a default Fedora desktop, a standard anaconda
installation, package management etc. Some people want to see how it
will look like, and don't care that much about learning something or
being able to copy-paste for it. Some people think that yum is still
awfully slow for example, or that there are things that can't be done
compared to apt. A screencast-showoff of this would be great IMO.

In other words, screencasts won't substitute proper documentation. And
heck, if a screencast is important enough for docs purposes, it could be
accompanied by a wiki page with full details, references etc.

In terms of localization, if we have the transcript for every
screencast, we could even localize it with subtitles in sub/srt files.

-d

> Kindly share your thought. Please reply with
> +1 - If you think yes
> -1 - If you think not
>
> further suggestions/comments are more then welcomed.
>
> --
> Mustafa Qasim
> Lahore, Pakistan
> Cell: 0321-6614972