write on the train?

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Apr 29 21:38:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 23:12 -0700, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> An answer for a question from IRC:
>
> 18:18 < subdivisions> hey all... anyone here know the best way to do editing/authoring
>                       offline?  I have approx 2.5 hours a day on the train and I can't
>                       really get a cell signal.
> 18:18 < subdivisions> I can cut-andpaste from and back to the wiwki, but that seems a bit
>                       crude.

There is one option for the wiki I forgot.  Like this:

1. Install 'itsalltext' extension:
   - This extension adds a button that lets you open the contents of an
HTML edit window (a TEXTAREA) in your favorite editor.
   - Saves happen to a temporary file and update the wiki edit window in
Firefox

2. Pick some chapters you are going to work on.

3. Email the list/alert IRC that you are putting a few hour 'lock' on
those files, so no one else edits them
   - There is a warning put up when you edit a file in the wiki, but the
lock may expire before you return

4. Load the pages and edit them, then use the Edit button from It's All
Text! to load the pages for offline editing.
   - You cannot preview changes while offline

5. Later versions of It's All Text! support keeping the same temporary
filename for the same original URL.  This means when you return to be
online, even if you have to reload and re-edit the original page, you
should be able to save within your editor, and the edit window in
Firefox updates.
   - If this does not work, yes, you still have manual cut and paste

Now that I write it all out, it sounds hokey and hacky and stupid, but
it does work. :)

- Karsten